Me, Myself, & My Muses

Thoughts, ideas, and curiosities of a Boston area creator of amusing and/or unusual objects.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Testing My Patience

Life at work today was troubling. In retail work, there are always days that customers are demanding or agrivating, but a customer today crossed the line into insulting. I don't like it when it is insinuated that I'm trying to rip someone off and that the work I do is not worth the money charged for it (I work in a custom picture framing store). I don't mind so much when people from other places such as the Middle East or Europe try to haggle with me or complain a little; it's a cultural difference that I can deal with.
All custom work is expensive. A person wouldn't be surprised that a custom tailored suit costs more than one off the rack, but with chain stores offering cheap(and often badly crafted) framing deals, it makes people crazy-thirsty for bargains.
I may not be a high salary executive, but I deserve respect for the work I do. I take my job seriously, and modesty aside, I'm good at it. I have worked my entire life at creative endevours and it has given me visual insight. I respect the objects people bring to me and try to help them presere and display them in a way which makes them happy.
Sigh....
I'll get down off my soapbox now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home